Short On Time?
Our Recommended Best Binocular For Astronomy Is The Praktica 10×42 mm!
- Fully multi-coated optics – maximises light transmission to provide sharp, clear images
- 6.0° angular field of view – quickly acquire and follow the subject being viewed
- Waterproof, fog proof and nitrogen purged – protects your binoculars in all weather
- Large focus knob- help bring your subject into sharp focus quickly
- Ideal for - birdwatching, cruise holidays, hiking, nature, safari, sightseeing and spectator sports
There are very few things as majestic as watching the sky at night or at dawn, taking in the vastness of the universe and how beautiful it all is. That is even more reason to get the right binoculars for these night time excursions to view the night sky, an escape from reality.
Have a look at our reviews on birdwatching binoculars here.
Below I will review various binoculars; their advantages, disadvantages, special features and things to look out for when buying astronomical binoculars that will make your gazing experience memorable.
Let’s begin with the:
Praktica 10×42 mm Waterproof Ambassador Binoculars
These all purpose binoculars can be used for a wide variety of outdoor activities including; sightseeing, bird watching, on safari to watch wildlife, hiking, during sporting events, concerts and astronomy.
It comes with the following accessories; a hard carrying case, eyepiece & objective lens caps, lens cleaning cloth and a padded neck strap.
These binoculars are water and fog-proof and can thus be used in extreme weather conditions without impeding your view. It is Nitrogen-purged which keeps the fog away from the lenses.
It has the extra-low dispersion lens glass which reduces chromatic aberration, phase & dielectric coated prisms which results in sharp images. This feature is especially useful in low light conditions.
It has a durable, Magnesium chassis which is hardy and usable in any type of weather without a worry of possible damage.
When you want to go hands free, it is also tripod-compatible, allowing you to mount and enjoy sustained steady viewing without any fatigue.
Its 7.8 angular wide field of view also allows you to easily follow fast moving objects while using it.
This binoculars has a field of view of 114 metres at 1000 yards which is solid magnification.
It has eye relief of 14.8 mm which is pretty good and puts it among the very best binoculars for astronomy considering the magnification of 10X.
The Praktica binoculars has fully multi-coated optics which provide light transmission and result in sharp, clear images.
This binoculars also has a twenty five year warranty which should put your mind at ease when buying them because that’s simply mind-blowing.
- The tripod-compatibility is an especially important feature for astronomy binoculars because viewing sessions are bound to take a long time.
- These binoculars are all purpose and are not just limited to astronomy, they can be sued for; sightseeing, sports events, hiking, watching wldlife and even concerts.
- They are very light and as such are suitable for use in outdoor events and when you do not have a tripod for stargazing.
- The accessories are actually of a pretty god quality considering most manufacturers seek to recover costs on such items.
- Considering their capabilities versus other binoculars with the same capabilities, they are a huge bargain and a worthwhile buy.
- The twenty five year warranty is massive and definitely retains customers to them, it is an unmatched period in the industry.
- When panning, at times shadows creep into your field of view.
Sunagor 30 – 160×70 BCF Mega Zoom Binoculars
Sungor is a renown brand for producing high quality, high magnification binoculars and this series falls firmly in that category and does not disappoint in its clarity.
It comes with the following accessories; a neck strap, a padded carrying case, lens covers, eyepiece protectors and a tripod adaptor.
They are all purpose too and can be used for the following outdoor activities; wildlife watching, aircraft spotting, during sporting activities and even concerts.
At around 100x to 160x magnification it easily matches powerful telescopes making it one of the very best astronomy binoculars.
The body is rubber armored to protect against any damage and provide superior grip under any conditions and are also easy to use while wearing gloves.
Alignment problems common in high magnification binoculars are avoided by the one-piece construction of the body.
They are also very easy to handle because at 1.4 kilograms they are not very heavy considering the punch they pack, but it is advisable to use a tripod for lengthy viewings.
The binoculars has collapsible rubber eye cups that allow for comfortable usage by spectacle wearers.
It is recommended to use a tripod to steady the binoculars especially at high magnification and the tripod socket provided is compatible with very many models on the market.
It has 70 mm objective lens which allows for greater light entry and the porro design incorporates Bak-4 prisms. All the surfaces have been coated with Sunagor coatings to protect against dirt particles damaging them. It therefore offers a very wide field of view.
They are extremely powerful binoculars with a starting point magnification of 30x that can go up to 160x, a fact that is frankly mind boggling and puts it among the best binoculars in the world. They give the phrase astronomy with binoculars new meaning.
The zoom lever that controls magnification is much larger and firmer to make the process easier to use when switching to higher magnification.
- The lugs on the sides that allow for use of the neck strap are a godsend and allow for even distribution of weight.
- The fact that they are all purpose makes them a worthwhile investment because apart from astronomy they can be used for various activities like sports watching, aircraft observation and during hiking.
- The extremely powerful magnification at 100x to 160x is comparable to the very best telescopes making this binoculars ideal for astronomy.
- The fact that it has collapsible eye cups makes it ideal for use for everyone, even people who wear spectacles.
- Customers have remarked on the excellent customer service by Sungor, they solve your problems very fast after you reach out to them, a factor that is a huge plus and ranks them among the best at this aspect.
- If you take them out on the field they are a little bit on the heavy side and cannot be used effortlessly for a longtime without the aid of a tripod stand.
- The highest magnification causes low aperture which in turn leads to dimmer pictures.
Nikon Prostaff 5 10 x 50 Binoculars
Nikon is a renowned brand, known for producing quality equipment in the field of binoculars, the Nikon Prostaff is particularly suitable for astronomy due to the 50 mm lens which allows for long range viewing.
This binoculars comes with the following accessories: front lens caps, a carry case, a neck strap, rear lens caps, a detailed instruction manual and the manufacturer’s warranty information.
It is waterproof and therefore perfect for a variety of outdoor activities including; hiking, camping, marine & spectator sports and watching wildlife even in extreme weather conditions.
It has a fiberglass-reinforced Polycarbonate resin which makes the body hardy and not prone to damage even during rough travel, this also means it is durable and thus a worthwhile investment.
This binoculars has multi-coated lenses which provide higher light transmittance, stopping light loss due to reflection and resulting in bright and clear images.
The Nikon binoculars has a high eye point and a long eye-relief design that accommodates people who wear glasses effortlessly.
They are very easy to focus and the diopter adjustment is precise.
The Nikon Binoculars has a ten year warranty which should put you at ease when purchasing it as you know you will be covered in case of anything.
- The fiberglass-reinforced Polycarbonate resin makes the body hardy and durable which is fantastic if you travel a lot because your equipment will not be damaged in transit.
- They are very lightweight and as such they can be carried around on outdoor activities with no added baggage at all, they can be comfortably snagged around the neck without feeling the strain.
- This pair of binoculars can be used for more than just one activity making it a must have because it does not limit you to one activity.
- The turn and slide eye cups move smoothly and the design ensures people who wear glasses are not inconvenienced.
- The lens covers are very loose and come off very easily, meaning you’re constantly losing them all over the place.
- In certain conditions there is a slight chromatic aberration which causes distortion of images.
Arrow Celestron 72030 SkyMaster Pro 15 x 70 Binoculars
This is one of the best astronomy binoculars due to its large 70 mm lens which is excellent for light gathering in poor light conditions, offering an unimpeded view for stargazers.
It comes with the following accessories; tripod adapter, lens cloth, neck strap, rain-guard, lens caps and an instruction manual. It also has It has a detachable RSR rail where you can attach a finder-scope for object location depending on your preference.
The ergonomics of the Skymaster binoculars are perfect for everyday use when engaged in outdoor activities due to the rubber coating and rugged armor which prevents any damage even from the rough and tumble of activities like hiking, watching wildlife and camping.
They can be used in all sorts of weather conditions because they are waterproof and Nitrogen purged, making them fog proof and keeping your view as clear as possible.
It is tripod-adaptable, you can use the tripod adapter to mount it for comfortable, extended hands-free viewing of the sky while you lie back and relax.
It has multi-coated surfaces that protects the lens and keeps the optical quality at an optimum.
It also has foldable eye cups which can be used comfortably by people who wear spectacles.
- The detachable RSR rail where a finder-scope can be attached for object location comes in handy when observing fast moving objects like sports or wildlife.
- The huge 70 mm lens is absolutely wonderful for light gathering and by extension makes them the perfect astronomy binoculars.
- They have an ergonomic design and are armored in rubber which makes them durable and hardy enough to withstand rough field treatment.
- They are water and fog proof and can be used in any sort of weather with no worries of impaired views.
- It has chromatic aberration and poor lens correction whereby the image is distorted.
- They can be a bit heavy when used without the tripod, therefore cannot really be held for a long time.
NOCOEX 10 x 50 Marine Binoculars
These stylish binoculars will have you feeling like a secret agent out on the field what with their design and rangefinder and compass.
It comes with the following accessories; a neck strap, eyepiece & lens cap, carrying case, lens cloth, color box and instruction manual.
They are among the best because they have night vision, a rangefinder to help you determine distances to objects you’re viewing and a compass to help with directions. These accessories makes them special and a lot of fun to have.
They have Bak-4 Porro prisms which stop stray light and makes sure the images are as natural looking as possible. They also have anti-reflective coating which reduces reflection improving the brightness and sharpness of images.
The field of view on this pair of binoculars is 396 feet at 1000 yards. They have 10 x magnification and a 50 mm lens which is perfect for gazing at the night sky.
This binoculars is an all purpose tool and can be sued for; hiking, camping, water sports, watching horse & car racing, during concerts, astronomy and travel.
They have a thirty day money back guarantee after purchase giving you a chance to familiarize yourself with them and if you do not like them, you can return them.
They are tripod adaptable for steady viewing.
They have eye relief of 22 mm and are adaptable for use with people who wear spectacles.
They are O-ring sealed meaning they are totally waterproof, they are also Nitrogen-sealed making them fog proof and as such can be used in any type of weather.
- They are all purpose and can be used in a variety of outdoor and indoor activities.
- The added accessories are very useful out in the field; the compass for direction, the range-finder to help you with measuring object distance and the night vision which is perfect for use under the night sky.
- They have a non-slip and ergonomic rubber design for a firm grip even in downfalls.
- It has a comfortable shoulder strap which takes the weight off of your shoulders literally.
- They are very affordable considering all the extra features like an inbuilt compass, rangefinder and night vision that they have.
- Over time, debris can accumulate and can interfere with image perception.
Eschenbach Arena D+ 8 x 42 Binoculars
Eschenbach Optik are a well-reputed company in the field of optics and the Arena D+ binoculars have not been left behind.
The binoculars are built for use in all aspects, whether on holiday, watching wildlife, at a concert, for astronomy or sports.
They have Porro prisms which help in better depth perception for close views and Bak-4 prisms which result in sharp images. At 42 mm the light gathering is decent enough for most activities in whichever light conditions.
Th focus can easily be adjusted using the dioptre for a wide field of view according to your preference.
The binoculars has eye pieces that can be folded to accommodate glass wearers.
- They are flexible in their use and are not limited to one specific use including; hiking, astronomy, watching wildlife and sports events.
- The eye cups are very easy to fold for use by people who wear spectacles.
- They are lightweight and do not inconvenience you when out in the field with extra weight.
- Image distortion is evident, you require higher magnification for the best binoculars for stargazing.
- The diopter is very hard to focus and takes a lot of time to set.
The Best Astronomy Binoculars
After assessing all the above models, detailing their strengths, weaknesses and special features I have come to a conclusion on which ones are the very best astronomy binoculars.
Some of these binoculars are too weak for stargazing but can be used anyway with a few adjustments and allowances, the very best have perfect light gathering to allow for bright and sharp images.
The best astronomy binoculars is the Sunagor 30 – 160 x 70 BCF Mega Zoom Binoculars.