Short On Time?
Our Recommended Best Binocular For Bird Watching Is The Zeiss Terra ED 8 x42!
Over time, bird watching has grown as an activity most people are willing to engage in as awareness has increased. But to effectively watch birds in comfort and to actually see them clearly, you need the right type of binoculars.
Have a look at our best binoculars for safari here.
There are few outdoor activities as peaceful and relaxing as finding somewhere comfortable, propping up your binoculars and settling in trying to watch various types of birds either in your garden or protected sanctuaries where specific birds can be found.
I will assess the various advantages, disadvantages, special features, affordability, eye relief, image quality, flexibility and durability of a few binoculars suitable for this activity and come up with the best among the lot.
Let’s begin with;
Zeiss Terra ED 8 x42 Binoculars
Zeiss are at the very top of the food chain when it comes to producing binoculars, they are a luxury brand who also have a more conservative range for the average bird watcher who does not want to overspend on binoculars. That is where the Zeiss Terra ED range comes in, they are still a bit pricey but a worthwhile purchase considering their quality.
The Zeiss Terra range like the Zeiss Victory range comes with the following accessories; a cleaning cloth, neck strap, a carrying case to protect the binoculars during transit, rain guard, lens caps for the lenses.
The body is sleek and attractive, you can always match it to your outfits and look trendy when taking in the sights and watching for birds. The body is made of an Aluminium alloy coupled with rubber coating that makes it durable and able to withstand the rough treatment encountered out on the field which is a very important factor when buying field equipment.
The body does not compromise on weight though, it is extremely light and can be carried around on various outdoor activities including; camping, hiking, certain sports events, concerts and of course during bird & wildlife watching.
This binocular are O-ring sealed which basically means that they are waterproof up to a depth of one metre where immersion in water for short time will not damage them in anyway, this combined with the LotuTec lens coating is suitable because the conditions you’re bound to run into out there will demand this feature.
The barrels have stipling and a non-slip feature which gives them a very firm grip, an often overlooked feature but very important considering some of the extreme weather conditions you walk into out there, especially in the wetlands.
They have excellent light gathering capabilities due to the large 42 mm lens with a magnification of 8x which isn’t too inferior to the Zeiss Victory range which has 50 mm objective lenses. They have a wide field of view of 410 feet at 1000 metres which is excellent and gives you a huge scope to try and spot wildlife.
The Terra range has hydrophobic multi-coating which repels all particles from the environment including dirt and liquids and provides for clear images all the time you are out in nature bird watching.
The lenses have Zeiss T coating which deals with chromatic aberration and removes glare in poor light conditions allowing you to use them at dawn or dusk without a problem.
It has a focus wheel that is centrally mounted and on the right eye piece, a dioptre focus which help in personal ocular focus adjustments depending on the preference of the person.
The binocular also has eye relief of 18 mm and the eye cups can be fully folded to make sure that people who wear glasses can use them comfortably with very minor adjustments.
The binoculars have a magnification of 8×42 mm on the objective lenses which is plenty sufficient for most outdoor activities.
They have the ED prism system with the Schmidt- Pechan prism design which are Silver alloy coated to deal with the inner reflection and results in better light transmission and more clear cut images.
The very best binoculars are also Nitrogen-purged meaning that even with temperature fluctuations, there is no fogging of the lenses which interrupts image clarity you’re focusing on.
This Zeiss Terra range binocular like the Zeiss Victory range has a warranty of two years which can be extended for free if registered within a month of purchase.
The Zeiss Terra range has split opinions but most experts will agree that they are some of the very best binoculars for bird watching, considering the drop off in price as compared to the Zeiss Victory range.
1. This binocular provide a field of view of 410 feet at 1000 metres which gives an excellent field of view on for bird watching, you really couldn’t ask for more for viewing fast moving objects.
2. This pair of binoculars has excellent light gathering, keeping the view as natural as possible and the image does not appear blurred even in low light.
3. The eye cups are very easy to adjust and fold so that someone who wears glasses can easily use them giving eye relief of up to 18 mm.
4. This binoculars are worth the expenditure considering their capability which puts them among the very best binoculars for bird watching.
5. This binoculars are extremely durable and hardy, coupled with the fact that they are water & fog proof making them ideal for use out in the field without a compromised image, a worthwhile investment.
1. The Zeiss Terra & Zeiss Victory range seem to have a very short warranty of just two years as compared to other binoculars, not inspiring much confidence.
2. Some people have complained that they are a bit heavy and without the use of a tripod, the image view can be a bit shaky. They also add a bit of luggage which can be cumbersome out in the field.
Nikon Monarch 5 8 x 42 Binoculars
Nikon are known world over for their superior optics and innovation in that field, they decided to change one of their most renown products from the Nikon Monarch ATB to the Nikon Monarch 5. The Monarch 5 binoculars is part of a series which also includes the Monarch 7.
It comes with the following accessories; a neck strap, cloth for cleaning the objective lenses and a carrying cases.
This pair of Nikon binoculars is very flexible in terms of usage, they can be used for the following outdoor activities without compromising on your viewing experience; during hiking, spotting marine life, watching the stars, watching wildlife in a safari, watching the birds in nature and camping all while offering a large field of view.
The housing is sturdy made of fiber glass-reinforced polycarbonate leading to durability and can handle rough treatment during transit and even usage in the great outdoors. The rubber armor provides a non-slip grip which is useful for use in wet conditions without constantly dropping your birding binoculars.
The Nikon binoculars is waterproof due to the O-ring technology and can withstand immersion of up to one metre for ten minutes. It is also fog-proof due to being Nitrogen-purged and can handle changes in temperature due to this technology. These features make it suitable for use in the toughest weather conditions with no drop off in image quality.
This binoculars has eye cups that turn up very easily and offers eye relief of up to 19.5 mm which is awesome for people who wear glasses to use, providing an unimpeded image and very wide field of view.
With the improvements from previous models, this binoculars can focus as close as 2.5 metres.
The central focusing knob on this pair of binoculars is very easy to use, keeps the image in sight and is actually very precise considering the hell some of the birding binoculars put you through when you’re trying to follow the flight of a bird.
The binoculars has ed glass to deal with chromatic aberration and as such shows a very clear view when used out on your outdoor activities. The 8 x 42 magnification is just right for the exact view you’re looking for.
It has phase-correction, coated roof prisms which results in higher resolution and a sharp, clear view which is a relief because while you’re out on the field, you could be watching birds from any distance and the size might be badly altered in other binoculars.
The objective lenses have caps that are flipped to ensure their safety which are easy to remove when you need to spot something in a hurry.
The lenses and prisms are fully multi-coated, which repels all sorts of particles and spillages ensuring a clear image with no graininess due to accumulation of dirt even in the deepest recesses of nature.
To ensure high transmittance uniformity for a more natural and brighter image, the binoculars has dielectric high-reflective multi-layer prism coating.
The binoculars has a field of view of 110 metres at 1000 feet and an apparent angular field of view of 47.5 degrees and real at 6.3 degrees. It also has an inter-pupillary field of adjustment of 56 -72 mm.
It is also tripod adaptor adaptable, especially the TRA -3 adaptor.
They are among the lightest binoculars without compromising on quality, weighing in at just under six hundred grams. They are an absolute pleasure to use out on the field without feeling weighed down by the weight of your equipment. This is also advantageous to bird watchers who might need to hold them up for a long time trying to spot birds without tiring.
- They are very lightweight and as such they are the ideal outdoor binoculars, especially for bird watchers who might need to hold them up for a long time without feeling the strain.
- The fact that this pair of binoculars is fully multi-coated is a huge advantage for field binoculars because of how easy it is to get dirty lenses when out in nature which can interfere with your field of view and spoil your experience.
- This bird watching binoculars can be used in the most extreme weather conditions due to the technology that deals with fog and makes them waterproof in immersions of up to one metre for ten minutes.
- The hardy construct of the body consisting of fiber glass-reinforced polycarbonate and rubber armoring of the binocular makes them useful for field use which is basically where every bird watcher will extract the most use from them anyway.
- The 8x magnification and 42 mm objective lens size makes it the perfect birding binoculars, providing proper image size and a very wide field of view to track a bird in flight.
- The twist type dioptre ring is very easy to adjust and just catch that bird movement.
- The accessories are of a very good quality, the neck strap is padded so there is no chaffing, it is compact and fits into your hands and the rubber armor gives comfortable grip.
- The lens and eye caps remain attached without getting in the way, so you do not really ever lose them like most binoculars, an absolutely marvelous idea to be honest.
- Their flexibility in terms of usage is amazing, they can be used in multiple outdoor activities including; during voyages to spot marine life, to watch birds and wildlife on safari, during camping and hiking. This makes it an overall worthwhile investment because it gives you options and doesn’t limit you to one activity.
- The Monarch 5 is not a perfectly sealed unit and can run into trouble in the tropics due to the weather conditions which can be very extreme.
- The case is not well padded and as such in rough and tumble conditions you worry about the beating the binoculars is taking.
Steiner BluHorizons 8 x 32 Binoculars
This stylish pair of binoculars will have you looking trendy and still not compromise on image quality when you’re out in the great wilderness watching wildlife, on holiday, voyaging, camping or hiking. The 8x magnification is just right for the great outdoors.
While not quite in the upper series of argos binocuars type of range, they are like the goldilocks of this review. They are not too cheap that the manufacturers have compromised on quality and they are not overly expensive for no obvious reason either. They are right in the middle and offer so much quality and flexibility to term them affordable and worth the investment.
The binoculars come with the following accessories; the carry strap, a carry bag for ease of transportation and a detailed instruction manual for easy adaptation.
Coming in at just under six hundred grams, this binocular are perfect for bird watching where you might need to move around quite a bit and at times just hold them up fr long periods of time to observe certain birds in awkward positions. It helps immensely if you do not get tired out by your equipment in the first five minutes of your experience.
This pair of binoculars has exclusive Autobright sunlight-adaptive lens technology which gives you an adjusted view of the perfect image without too much brightness. This is one of those important aspects when choosing binoculars for birding, you don’t want to just see a blurry image but the real, high quality image.
The binoculars are ideal for use in any setting; whether the sun is rising, setting or during the time of the day when it is at its zenith, the light gathering of this binoculars is awesome, allowing you to observe an image at its best with natural light.
It has a roof prism design which makes it compact and as a result easier to handle and even store particularly when you do not have too much space to spare when traveling with other gear.
This Steiner binocular is ideal for observing small animals like insects and plant life due to the close focus function of up to 1.8 metres, a factor that will absolutely come to play out on the field.
This binoculars has phototrophic lenses which adapts to whichever light settings you use to view an image in, they are very unique in this measure as they are one of the first binoculars to have this feature and make for handy equipment to carry around.
For good image sharpness and superior image quality, from the closest focus to the highest magnification, the central focus wheel is easy to use and manipulate to suit your needs to give you that wide field of view you so desire.
It has very comfortable, rubber eye cups which can be folded for use by people who wear glasses.
The housing is coated in rubber armor which helps protect it from the elements and various spillages during transit. The body is also in hardy coating which can withstand the rough and tumble of traveling and usage in the open where a delicate pair of birding binoculars would get damaged pretty fast.
This binoculars is IPX-4 – rated which allows it to withstand rain and snow and can also function properly in wildly fluctuating temperatures from -20 degrees to 70 degrees celsius.
It has an ergonomic design with comfortable, rubber eye cups, non-aging silicone to protect against incident light and draughts and very skin friendly. Basically one of the best and person-friendly birding binoculars.
The Steiner binoculars has 8x magnification and 32 mm lenses which offer a very wide field of view of 118 metres at 100 feet, allowing you to effortlessly follow the flight of that rare bird you have always wanted to view. It has a 4 mm exit pupil which is the ideal size for almost all users in whichever light conditions. While not quite the 10x magnification, this is still superb.
The Autobright technology is amazing and helps light transmission to give you a good image even in bright conditions and it also prevents glare caused by various elements in the environment like snow, sand and water bodies.
- The Autobright Technology by Steiner is one of the best and helps provide protection for the user’s eyes is absolutely useful, especially for people in sunny areas. Allowing you to have a sun-free view and a clear image.
- The rubber coated armor on the body that deals with spills and helps give you a good grip and is comfortable to hold, meaning you can use it in wet conditions without being inconvenienced.
- The binoculars has eye cups that can be folded for ease of use by people who wear glasses, making it a very convenient pair of binocuars and offering eye relief of up to 18 mm.
- The 8x magnification has been lauded by users as the perfect magnification to view an image without compromising on image quality, giving you a pleasant view when out and about.
- The binoculars are very flexible in terms of usage for various outdoor activities due to the expansive field of view offered including; hiking, traveling, camping, for marine spotting on voyages, bird and wildlife watching on safari and even stargazing.
- The body is made of fibre glass polycarbonate material which makes it hardy and durable but is also ideal for birding binoculars because you get to carry around light equipment and hold them up for long periods of time.
- The Steiner binoculars are of obvious quality and yet they are not prohibitively expensive considering their multi-purpose quality which does not limit you to simply one activity.
- The close focus ability is amazing, with the ability to go from the minimum to highest magnification with a few rotations.
- They are perfect birding binoculars because of the fact that they are water and fog-proof due to being IPX-4 rated and ability to operate normally even during the wildest temperature fluctuations.
- Most accessories are where manufacturers recoup their money but in this Steiner binoculars, the accessories are of good quality. The Neoprene bag is well padded and can withstand rough transit while the carrying strap is comfortable and does not cause any chaffing on the skin.
- The binoculars does not come with lens covers which is very inconveniencing considering the rough and tumble of the outdoors and the particles and spillages encountered out there.
Opticron Discovery WP PC 8×32 Binocular
The Opticron Discovery is a very affordable binocular and suitable for a variety of outdoor activities including; bird & wildlife watching, for use during hiking, camping, traveling and even marine spotting during voyages. This flexible aspect makes it a worthwhile buy for binoculars in its price range because it does not strictly limit you to one activity.
This mid range quality binoculars comes with the following accessories; lanyard, cleaning cloth, objective lens caps, a soft case for safe storage and transportation and a very detailed user manual for efficient use.
The body is made of ABS plastic which is quite hardy actually and armored in Rubber which gives you a good grip even in the wettest conditions.
They have an ultra compact optical design and roof prism design.
Opticron makes some of the most compact binoculars that are lightweight and appropriate for outdoor use, especially bird watching where you need to hold them up for a sustained period of time, heavier binoculars will only tire you, provide a shaky image thus marring your view and aren’t the best binoculars for bird watching.
They have an ultra close focus function that goes as close as 1.2 metres, which is extraordinary and very useful for observation of plants and small insects on the field, providing some of the best image quality in the market for that distance.
The Opticron binoculars also has a five year warranty which should ease any fears of spending money on them and ensure you have a scare free experience when out in the field.
The 8x magnification is the best for bird watching and similar activities where you need to focus on an image for a long time because it is easier to keep steady.
The 32 mm objective lens is just the right size for bird watching too because it allows just the right amount of light making for a very bright image. It is big but not so big that it becomes a burden and makes the binocular a burden to carry around.
This pair of binocular has eye cups with inter-pupillary distance of 5.2 cm to a maximum of 7.5 cm and can be used by grown and small children with no problem at all.
It is fully multi-coated allowing for very little reflection of light and the roof prisms have been phase corrected thus image quality is preserved.
Bird watching requires a wide field of view to be able to keep up with the birds moving from tree to tree without losing them because you cannot track them, this is a major feature for the very best birding binoculars. Luckily, the 8×32 has the wide field of view of 131 metres at 1000 yards without compromising on image quality.
With an exit pupil of 4 mm, this pair of binocular is still usable in low light and will produce good images even though they are not as good as the higher 10x magnification.
The dioptre adjuster helps in compensating for any differences in visual acuity between your eyes resulting in a sharp, clear image on both sides.
The eye cups on this binoculars provide long eye relief of up to 17 mm, the eye cups can be turned down for users who wear glasses to use effortlessly, another feature of the very best binoculars. Eye relief is a very important feature to look out for when shopping for binoculars.
- The five year warranty offered is very comprehensive and as such it should really ease your fears over spending money on this binocular because you know that you are covered in case of anything.
- This pair of binoculars is in the mid range between the low end and very best binocular in the market and yet they are not disadvantageous in the field, they really do hold their own.
- The 8x magnification coupled with the lightweight build of the body is perfect for bird watching binoculars since they can be held steady for a sustained period of time without tiring and making the image blurry thus spoiling your view.
- This pair of binoculars can be used in the wettest conditions because of the rubber armored body which provide good grip.
- The ABS plastic body is made specifically for impact resistance and toughness which is ideal for the rough and tumble of use out in the field.
- The 32 mm lens size lets in just the correct amount of light to produce a bright yet natural image making for a high quality image, perfect for bird watching binoculars.
- The long range eye relief of 17 mm offered and the eye cups that can be folded are pretty cool features, allowing people who wear glasses to use this pair of binoculars easily, a feature the best binoculars simply must have.
- One of the best aspects in its favor is that the accessories are of decent quality which is commendable for magnification binoculars in this price range.
- They are not tripod adaptable so they cannot be used hands free due to the fact that the dust cap cannot be removed to accommodate a tripod.
- There is a bit of chromatic aberration that causes light fringing but it is not as much as you would expect for a birding binocular with no ed glass.
Nikon Aculon A211 16 x 50 Binoculars
This stylish yet flexible pair of binoculars for sale puts it among the best mid-range binocular for various activities. They can be used for a multitude of activities including; hiking, camping, during sporting events, concerts, marine spotting and bird & wildlife watching.
The best binoculars come with a few ready accessories you will need out on the field, this model comes with the following accessories; a neck strap, carrying case fro safe transportation and storage, front and back caps for the lenses, TRA-2 tripod adaptor, detailed user instructions and a warranty manual.
Bird watching binoculars come in different price ranges; the very expensive ones like the Argos binoculars which are some of the best binoculars to be honest, the mid range ones like this Nikon Aculon binoculars and the very low range ones which don’t have the features of the very best. Luckily, this pair does not compromise on image quality and is one of the best birding binocular.
They are higher magnification binoculars at 16 x allowing you to feel as if you’re sharing a space with the birds and wildlife you’re watching making your experience so much more enjoyable.
The binoculars has the Porro prism design which makes them just a bit chunkier but not too heavy considering the material the whole unit is made of.
The 50 mm lenses which are multi-layered coated are very powerful and can even be used for activities such as star gazing because of their excellent light gathering capabilities which produce a bright and sharp image.
The Nikon binoculars have turn and slide rubber eye cups that allow you to correctly position your eyes to fully appreciate the image better.
To remove image distortion even at the edges of the lenses they have aspherical eyepiece lenses.
- They are very flexible binoculars which can be used for a variety of outdoor activities including; sports events, marine spotting, hiking, camping, traveling, bird & wildlife watching. And due to the higher magnification they can even be used for astronomy.
- The eye relief is immense and the turn up eye cups allow for spectacles wearers to use them effortlessly.
- They are very compact binoculars making them the perfect traveling companion where you need to save on space and do not want to be weighed down by baggage that takes up a lot of space.
- They can be a bit heavy according to some users due to the Porro prism design but the tripod negates that because it is adaptable.
Celestron 71008 SkyMaster 25 X 70 Binoculars
This stylish pair of binoculars comes equipped with everything you might need to make your life easier and more enjoyable on the trip of a lifetime. It has a carrying case for safe transportation and conveniently compact for easy storage in your luggage.
This binoculars also comes with; a neck strap, a rain guard, carrying case, caps for the lenses and an instruction manual.
The multi-coated lenses ensure a good image which is optimized further seeing as the images on safari are unmissable.
Bird watching binoculars demand that you have a comfortable pair because you might have a long observation time for birds which on any other pair can hurt your eyes. Luckily this type has soft eye cups that can be folded to allow for use even with people who wear spectacles which is a huge bonus.
This SkyMaster pair are specially designed for terrestrial and astronomical viewing. It has large aperture light gathering for all sorts of conditions you will encounter out there.
At times during bird watching, you go out during low light and these pair makes sure that is not a problem due to the 70 mm objective lens size that sharpens the images and ensure brightness.
This binoculars has a very wide field of view of 2.7 degrees and 141 feet at 1000 yards with diopter range of -4 to +8.
This pair of binoculars has a focus dial which is very easy to turn without much movement to help you focus and the long eye relief is unmatched.
It has a rugged, armored, body which offers grip allowing you to hold them for a long time without it being uncomfortable making for compact binoculars.
They are also tripod adaptable further adding to their value so you do not have to hold them when you’re on a lengthy watch like bird watching.
The Celestron are especially valuable for long range viewing due to the 25 X porro, Ed glass & Bak-4 prisms which sharpen contrast and help you to focus on an object easily.
1. The wide field of view on this binoculars is especially developed due to the Bak-4 prisms technology making it a must have while out on safari watching birds & wildlife.
2. The large 70 mm lenses helps to bring out the maximum brightness of images in different lighting conditions making them ideal binoculars for birding.
3. The SkyMaster Porro prisms are ideal for astronomical viewing too with the higher magnification, staring at the night sky has never been better with these specially designed binoculars. An extra feature after a long day of watching the birds.
4. It comes with a padded carry case which is important for lots of travel without being damaged and to protect the investment in different types of conditions.
5. It is water resistant making it ideal for use in the very worst elements, a feature of the very best bird watching binoculars.
1. The image can be shaky if hand held due to the high magnification factor, thus you have to purchase a tripod for optimum use, the option it comes with is not sturdy. A factor that some users do not factor in in advance.
2. They cannot be handheld for long because they are very heavy and it gets uncomfortable after a short while.
3. The cost cutting is evident in the neck straps which cut into your skin after extended usage.
The Best Bird Watching Binoculars
After reviewing all of the above binoculars of different ranges, I have come to a conclusion on which one is the best binoculars for birding.
I look at factors like; affordability, value in terms of functions, flexibility, magnification versus activity, eye relief, field of view and image quality.
On the field while looking at that image of the bird, nothing else matters except the image quality that is in front of you. As such, the very best binoculars for bird watching is the Nikon Monarch 5 8 x 42 binoculars.